- Position your bike on a bike stand.
- Identify the location of bike derailleurs.
- Diagnose bike gear shifting problems.
- Check the cable adjusters.
- Focus on the problem gear.
- Let the cable adjuster loose if the chain is not shifting down.
- Let the cable adjuster tight if the chain is not shifting up.
- Cycle through every gear again.
Why won’t my gears change on my bike?
This is usually caused by an overly tight gear cable or the low limiting screw that needs adjusting. You can test this by shifting to the lowest gear and seeing if your front derailleur is in line with the smallest chainring. If not, try adjusting the limiting screw. Alternatively, your gear cable may be too tight.
How do you use gears on a bike for beginners?
Get to grips with shifting your bike gears with these super quick beginner tips.
- Practice Makes Perfect.
- Right = Rear, Left = Front.
- Don’t cross the chain!
- Anticipate the hill.
- Left = big changes, Right = fine tuning.
- Don’t shift too quickly.