So what is supermoto? Supermoto bikes are essentially dirtbikes with slick tyres and upgraded suspension and brakes. Tracks are usually 75% asphalt (usually kart tracks) and with a 25% off road dirt section with jumps and berms. A lot of people skip the dirt and just ride on asphalt, so then its just like road racing.
- The answer is pretty simple. In essence, a supermoto is a dual purpose motorcycle – usually a dirt-bike that has been modified for street use by adding sport tires on smaller street rims, with more road appropriate suspension too. These bikes were first built to compete in special supermotard races.
- 1 What is considered a supermoto bike?
- 2 What is the purpose of a supermoto?
- 3 What is the difference between a supermoto and a dual sport?
- 4 Are Supermotos popular?
- 5 Is a supermoto street legal?
- 6 Are Supermotos easy to ride?
- 7 Are Supermotos safer?
- 8 Why do Supermotos have small wheels?
- 9 How much do supermoto Wheels lower a bike?
- 10 What’s the best supermoto bike?
- 11 What’s the most powerful dirt bike ever made?
- 12 What’s the most powerful dirt bike?
- 13 What’s the fastest dirt bike you can buy?
What is considered a supermoto bike?
Typically, a supermoto is a standard dirt bike or enduro, but converted to have 17-inch front and rear wheels, to allow use of sport bike tires. Supermotos also often have other sport bike modifications as well, such as inverted front forks and oversized front rotor braking setups.
What is the purpose of a supermoto?
Supermoto is a form of motorcycle racing held on race tracks that alternate between three kinds of track surfaces: the hard packed dirt of flat track, the irregular jumps and obstacles of motocross, and the paved tarmac of road racing.
What is the difference between a supermoto and a dual sport?
The main differences between dual sport vs supermoto are: A dual-sport has a 21-inch front tire and 19-inch rear tire, whereas a supermoto has a 17-inch front and rear tire. A dual-purpose bike has slightly higher ground clearance, whereas the ground clearance of a supermoto is a few inches lower.
Are Supermotos popular?
To become a skilled supermotard racer, you’ve really got to know how to race in a variety of conditions. While they’re great fun to race, supermoto bikes are actually very useful on the roads and they’re a very popular choice of motorcycle for those who require a mode of transport that offers extreme versatility.
Is a supermoto street legal?
Your local laws may require more, but your dirt bike turned street legal supermoto will need at least: Headlights. Tail light with brake light.
Are Supermotos easy to ride?
Supermotos are, above all things, forgiving. Not many people have the talent of Earl Hayden’s kids or the cajones of Chuck Norris to ride their motorcycles at the limit of traction. Supermotos help make up for an obvious lack of talent with superior handling and poise under pressure.
Are Supermotos safer?
it’s safer – Motorsport is dangerous, but I think supermoto is about as low risk as you can go, whilst still experiencing that ‘need for speed’. The speeds are lower than road racing, the dirt is smoother and more predictable than MX.
Why do Supermotos have small wheels?
So why do supermoto riders look to use 17-inch wheels? The answer is simple – speed. Smaller wheels let the tires rotate quicker so acceleration is snappier. Smaller wheels also have less centrifugal force so the forces making the bike stay upright aren’t as strong.
How much do supermoto Wheels lower a bike?
Supermoto Wheels and Tires They lower the bike, they handle better, and they’re wider so you can lay more rubber down. 3.5″ width is typical for front supermoto wheels, and 4-5″ are the most common for the rear, with several in between.
What’s the best supermoto bike?
Top 10 supermotos
- Husqvarna 701 Supermoto.
- Husqvarna 701 Supermoto. Engine 690cc single-cylinder Power 67bhp Torque 49ft/lb Weight 145kg (without fuel)
- KTM 690 SMC R.
- KTM 690 SMC R. Engine 690cc single cylinder Power 67hp Weight 144kg.
- Suzuki DR-Z400SM.
- Suzuki DR-Z400SM.
- KTM 640 LC4 Supermoto.
- KTM 640 LC4 Supermoto.
What’s the most powerful dirt bike ever made?
1. KTM 450 SX-F (198 km/h – 123 mph) – 449cc. The KTM 450 SX-F is best known for propelling Ryan Dungey to Motocross championship. Its powerful 449cc engine is only 237 pounds, but it can power top speeds of 123 mph.
What’s the most powerful dirt bike?
12 Fastest Dirt Bikes in the World
- KTM 450 SX-F.
- Aprilia RXV 5.5. 2013 Aprilia RXV 5.5 | Aprilia. Top speed: 113 mph.
- Beta 450RS. 2014 Beta 450 RS | Beta. Top speed: 110.9 mph.
- ATK Intimidator.
- BMW G650 XChallenge. 2009 BMW G650 XChallenge | BMW Motorrad. Top speed: 104 mph.
- MuZ Baghira.
- Husqvarna FE 501 S.
- Kawasaki KLR650.
What’s the fastest dirt bike you can buy?
The overall fastest dirt bike on our list remains the KTM 450 SX-F. It’s no surprise that KTM would produce such a dirt bike since they’re well known for having high standards for speed. The 450 SX-F offers both substantial power and user-friendly handling for experienced riders looking for a fast ride.