What do you do if someone stole your bike?
- Contact the police. If your bike is stolen, you’ll need to file a police report. Call the non-emergency number of your local police department and tell them what happened. They’ll more than likely send an officer out to take down the details.
- 1 What should I do if my bike got stolen?
- 2 How can I find my stolen bike?
- 3 Is a stolen bike covered by home insurance?
- 4 What do bike thieves look for?
- 5 Why are bikes stolen so often?
- 6 What happens bike thieves?
- 7 What do thieves do with stolen motorcycles?
- 8 Do you need insurance for bikes?
- 9 How do bike insurance claims work?
- 10 Are bicycles covered under car insurance?
- 11 Why do people like to steal bikes?
- 12 What bike is stolen the most?
- 13 How do I make sure my bike is not stolen?
What should I do if my bike got stolen?
10 things to do if your bike’s been stolen!
- Alert social media.
- List your bike as stolen.
- Report the theft to the police.
- File an insurance claim.
- Report it to Kryptonite or OnGuard.
- Check ebay, Gumtree, craigslist. How to set up alerts.
- Check the flea markets and pawn shops!
- Let your local bike shops know.
How can I find my stolen bike?
Here are some quick and easy tips to track it down:
- Report your bike stolen to the police.
- Call local bike shops.
- Visit local markets and impound yards for stolen bikes.
- Register your bike as stolen on bike recovery sites.
- Search online marketplaces.
- Inform your insurance company.
- Spread the word.
Is a stolen bike covered by home insurance?
If you have a home contents policy, your bicycle (also referred to as a pedal cycle in some policies) may be covered up to a set limit if stolen from the home. It may not be covered for loss or damage outside the home or while in use.
What do bike thieves look for?
Bike thieves are looking for a quick getaway. So will target bikes that are secured with combination locks or other cheap flimsy-looking bike locks. They will settle for any bike, it doesn’t even have to be expensive-looking.
Why are bikes stolen so often?
Another reason theft is so prevalent is that locks haven’t kept pace with the times. The ones that do work can be so expensive or so heavy that they actually deter people from riding in the first place. GPS trackers can locate a stolen bike, but do nothing to stop thieves who only want to strip its parts.
What happens bike thieves?
Normally, once you had stolen the bike, you rang a contact who’d come and pick it up. “I usually sold it in-person to a friend, but sometimes I’d sell it on Gumtree or eBay. Bikes are normally stripped down and rebuilt or sprayed within a few hours.
What do thieves do with stolen motorcycles?
For cruisers and street bikes, thieves go to a junkyard, search for a wrecked motorcycle of a similar model and buy it. They switch the VIN, and the stolen motorcycle is marked as a salvage restore. After inspection, the motorcycle is insured and sold legally.
Do you need insurance for bikes?
While car insurance is considered a necessity, insurance for cyclists is still thought of as an optional expense. Whether you ride your bike daily or just occasionally for fun, there are many reasons to consider taking out personal-accident insurance and third-party public liability insurance for cyclists.
How do bike insurance claims work?
If your bike has met with an accident and needs repair work, you have to contact your insurance company. An authorised representative will be sent to evaluate the amount of damage caused to the bike. He will later have your insurance claim registered. You will then be given a claim registration number.
Are bicycles covered under car insurance?
Yes, Your Automobile Insurance Policy May Cover Your Bike Crash.
Why do people like to steal bikes?
Acquisitive: These thieves steal bicycles for financial gain and usually trade them for cash or goods. The bikes may also be sold in pieces for drugs or money. In Portland, Oregon bike thieves are often drug addicts who provide stolen bicycles to drug dealers in exchange for drugs.
What bike is stolen the most?
As far as brands taken, there’s little surprise to see two of the so-called ‘big three’ in Bikmo’s most stolen – Giant and Specialized. A second bicycle insurer corroborates the finding; PedalSure also name the two brands as their most wanted by thieves.
How do I make sure my bike is not stolen?
“ Make sure to always lock up the rear wheel along with the frame.” For those who are extra-cautious, it might be a good idea to use two locks: a classic U-lock for the bike frame, and a chain or cable lock that can be threaded through both wheels. Location is also super important.